I enjoy cooking, but honestly most days (especially weekdays), I just don’t have time to pull together something creative and inspired. So, I am a big fan of one dish meals…
- a little healthy protein (up to 4 oz).
- some whole grain carbs (usually 1/2 cup cooked instant brown rice, but sometimes pasta).
- lots and lots of sauteed vegetables (whatever I have on hand, but almost always including onion (I hear it’s a good diuretic, plus it has lots of flavor), zucchini, and celery. For some reason I love sauteed celery.
- a handful of raw greens. Lately it’s been baby spinach, but I love herb blends too.
- a little sauce. Usually about a teaspoon of pesto, but sometimes a use a bit of vinaigrette or salsa.
- maybe a little cheese. Usually parmesan, but sometimes goat cheese crumbles, or diced avocado instead.
Basically, any combination of healthy foods I can throw together in one bowl and eat for dinner makes me happy.
A few of my favorite combinations:
- Maple chicken sausage, sauteed vegetables, orzo, steamed, mashed cauliflower, tomatillo salsa, goat cheese (above; 346 calories)
- Salmon (or a salmon burger), rice, sauteed vegetables, avocado, peach salsa
- Ground turkey, rice, sauteed vegetables, pesto, parmesan cheese
- Diced pork chop, tabouli, chopped tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, spinach
Of course, with semi-picky kids in the house it can be tricky; they don’t like their foods mixed together! But that’s a whole other story.
What are your favorite toss-together dinners?